Monday, June 24, 2013

Deen Takin' The Heat!


 Paula Deen is out of the Kitchen...
Thanks to her Brother Bubba! 
Read the Official Complaint of Lisa Jackson!


Home Cookin' Southern Bell is a Racist?

The first time I came across this story, I was scrolling my Facebook Newsfeed. A post popped up showing Paua Deen's lovely face, captioned; "Food Network not to renew Deen's contract due to racial slurs" My initial reaction was;

 "Fired! Why would they fire that sweet lady?"  



 So I read a little further and started to get upset as the general story was that while under oath Deen was asked the question if she had ever used racial slurs. She replied,


 "Yes, but it was a very long time ago."


 I was flabbergasted that she lost her job because of something she may have said 27 years ago! Seriously?!! Soon after I noticed that a lot of people felt the same way, posts and comments were flooding my newsfeed. I did some googling and discovered countless articles, news stories and videos, so I started clicking...


1st Apology- She resembles a kidnap victim in this one, lol. Embarrassing to even watch.





I wanted to know more so I continued with my research and came across the heart of the story. The following excerpt from the deposition can be found all over the net;

The deposition Deen gave on May 17, taken by Atlanta attorney Matthew Billips and filed June 17, was in preparation for trial of the Jackson case before U.S. District Judge William T. Moore Jr.

“Have you ever used the ‘N’ word yourself?” Billips asked.
“Yes, of course,” Deen responded, referring to the fact it happened in reference to a black man who put a gun to her head during a bank robbery where she worked.
“Have you used it since then?”
“I’m sure I have, but it’s been a very long time.”
There is no time frame associated with the response.
“Miss Deen, have you ever told racial jokes?”
“No, not racial.”
Deen went on to say the “N” word is not one she used as time passed.
“Things have changed since the ’60s in the South,” she said. “And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior.”
In another exchange, Deen discussed jokes targeting groups, conceding that “most jokes target. ... They usually target, though, a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know. ... I can’t determine what offends another person.”
“And would you consider telling jokes, racial jokes, to be an example of using the ‘N’ word in a way that’s not mean?
“No I wouldn’t — I wouldn’t tell it. ... I mean, that’s not my style.”
Later in the deposition, Deen was questioned about plans for her brother’s wedding and a restaurant she and her husband visited in “Tennessee or North Carolina or somewhere.”
“The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean it was really impressive.
“And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid that somebody would misinterpret.”
She told Billips she would use the word “black” to describe the race of what she called “professional black men doing a fabulous job,” adding, “I don’t usually use African-Americans.”
She went on to testify she had said, “I would love for Bubba to experience a real Southern-style wedding,” referring to the food. Deen denied using the word “n---” to describe the servers.
“Before the Civil War, those black men and women who were waiting on white people were slaves, right?” Billips asked.
“Yes, I would say that they were slaves,” she responded. “But I did not mean anything derogatory by saying I loved their look and their professionalism.”
“Is there any possibility, in your mind, that you slipped and used the word ‘n-----’?”
“No, because that’s not what these men were. They were professional black men doing a fabulous job,” she responded.
When asked about racial harassment, Deen said she thought she would recognize it and said, “We don’t tolerate that.”

 Ok, I was still upset that she was fired and I dug further;

The following link is a good view of the controversy surrounded Paula Deen
www.savannahnow.com/paula-deen-interactve

BUT THIS bit of information, Actual Court Complaint, was the just what I needed to help me better assess the story and judge for myself (thus-far). I read the entire document and was floored to learned of the accusatory details of the case!
ACCORDING to The Deposition:

Paula and her brother share in a few joint ventures in the restaurant biz. From what I gather is that the whole business in operated with a "good ole boy" attitude. The same type of behavior and bigotry that existed before the Civil Rights Act of 1957, STILL exist in the hearts and minds of these folks that are running the show.

The deposition was taken in connection with a civil suit by Lisa Jackson, former general manager of Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House Inc. on Whitemarsh Island, which is operated by Deen’s brother, Earl W. “Bubba” Hiers.
Jackson’s suit was filed initially in Chatham County Superior Court but was removed to federal court. In it, Jackson alleges she was the victim of sexual harassment and a persistent pattern of racial discrimination in the workplace during her five years at Uncle Bubba’s.

I have to admit it, that regardless of my initial reaction, I am now leaning more towards the side of The Food Network. The REAL victim of this story, according to the Complaint, is Ms. Jackson! Read this now Actual Court Complaint !








SHOW SOME SUPPORT!

No comments:

Post a Comment